Found it! Even for a lady who doesn’t really believe a salad is a meal, this particular gluten-free quinoa-filled salad just might satisfy all of your dinner urges. As long as those urges don’t include tacos. Which I realize is a tall order. Still, bust out your picnic table or whatever it is you do, and get ready to enjoy the salad of the year that is filled with green beans, corn, grilled chicken and goat cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
I found the basic makings of this summer-rific recipe on Epicurious, but first I had to kick out the dirty, dirty, farro. Then I realized if you’re not a meat-eating type you’re going to want to boot the chicken. You could easily substitute tofu, prepared the same way, or just skip it altogether. Make it vegan? You don’t really need that goat cheese either. I mean, I need it but you may not. Really, it’s a mix and match salad for your own needs. Next time I’m going to throw roasted almonds on top too. Oh yeah, I’m going there. Nothing can stop the amazingness of this salad. Except, obviously, a taco.
So go ahead and say yes to those potluck invites, people. This summer salad has you covered.
Gluten-Free Summer Salad
adapted from Epicurious
8 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 TB wheat-free tamari
12 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups fresh yellow corn kernels (cut from 2 to 3 ears of corn)
3 green onions, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
1 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups)
1. Prepare quinoa according to instructions, and allow to cool. Marinate chicken in wheat-free tamari, lime, salt and pepper.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet; cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Cool, then cut into 1/2 – to 3/4-inch cubes.
3. Cook green beans in large saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water to cool; drain. Transfer beans to kitchen towel; pat dry.
4. Mix quinoa, chicken, and green beans in large bowl; add corn and green onions.
5. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, marjoram, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt in small bowl. Press with back of spoon to release flavor. Whisk in vinegar, shallot, and mustard.
6. Pour over salad in bowl; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve.
Makes: 10 servings
This sounds amazing. I’m still searching for something quinoa based that I don’t turn my nose up to and this just might be the thing. I want to like quinoa, just haven’t got there yet.
It’s okay to hate quinoa. No matter what anyone says. You could also use rice in this recipe. Or beef jerkey — either/or.
Pingback: Sorry About This Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Cake | Gluten Is My Bitch