First of all I’m going to admit that I had no idea tiramisu was a no-cook dessert. Secondly, rum? Really, I enjoyed this delight for years before being gluten-free and I had NO IDEA WHAT I WAS EATING. (Admittedly, that wasn’t the only thing I ever ate that could be described the same way.) The other thing I learned during my schooling about this Italian dessert was that Schar offered gluten-free ladyfingers! So I went for it. It was goooood, you guys. Just like I remembered it. Creamy, dreamy, coffee-y and lightly chocolate-y.
I used the recipe on the package, as otherwise I would have had to have come home with more than one package because most tiramisu recipes are about twice as large. So if you’ve got a fab dinner party with lots of gluten-free boozy guests, double this recipe and go to town! It has also occurred to me that there’s probably no other use for ladyfingers besides tiramisu. Is that right?
Since this is a no-cook, please buy great quality eggs so no one gets the salmonella. What with your propensity for diarrhea, you do NOT want salmonella on top of it all.
On that note –
Prep time: 15 minutes Chill time: 6 hours
3 large egg yolks
3 large egg whites
4 Tablespoons sugar
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
2 Tablespoons dark rum
5.3 ounce package of Schar gluten-free ladyfingers
1-1/4 cups cooled espresso
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1. Soak gluten-free ladyfingers in espresso until the center is still slightly firm, but not too hard.
2. While the ladyfingers are soaking, beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar together, then add mascarpone cheese, and dark rum and combine completely. Fold egg whites into the mixture.
4. Place half of the soaked ladyfingers in a single layer on the bottom of glass dish. Cover with half of the mascarpone mixture, then layer the other half of the ladyfingers on top. Top with remaining mascarpone mixture. Sprinkle cocoa powder on top, and place in refrigerator for 6 hours.
5. Remove from refrigerator and slice into pieces and serve.
Makes: 6 servings